Wednesday, June 30, 2010

'Bioshock' Film Developments

I remember when the trailer for the 2nd game, simply called Bioshock 2, debuted online. I forget which damn website it was I saw it on. But I loved the whole thing.


I don't really play video games anymore, at least new ones. Because, they have passed me up in technicality to play. I.E. they're too hard and complex now. Lol, I still whip out Sonic and Mario Kart. Every time I try to hang with my gamer buddies on shit like this, I get merked out real quick. It ain't no fun, son. But I'd buy a PS3 just for this one (and Batman: Arkham Asylum). I ended up looking the game up after the sick trailer.  I liked what I found. The first game is as follows via Wikipedia:
"Set in an alternate history 1960, the game places the player in the role of a plane crash survivor named Jack, who must explore the underwater city of Rapture, and survive attacks by the mutated beings and mechanical drones that populate it."
Hit the jump button for more on this game adaptation.


Might not sound like much at first, but then again, you can always look at the trailer that grabbed my attention.



Eh? Eh?! Sick?! I know... So cool. I'm still not exactly sure of everything in the game. I know the diver dude is called "Big Daddy" and the little girl is "Little Sister". Little sisters are supposed to grow up into the heathen bitches simply called, "Big Sisters". And those are nasty creatures. The city, now a dystopian drab to live in and a dangerous place at that, is very accurately named Rapture. Rapture, anyone? As in the Christian Armageddon where all life is fucked and forced to survive the horrors of a new world.

Anyway, Gore Verbinski opted out of Pirates 4 to direct this. But after a while, and taking into consideration everything they had in mind favor this, the budget ballooned to a reported $160. Which is natural for blockbusters--but not for hard R's. They were taking it overseas to cheapen it with tax credits and and so forth. But that's when he pulled out (that's what she said) in favor of his Rango and gave the reins to Juan Carlos Fresnadillo of 28 Weeks Later fame.Recently he was interviewed by IGN, and I got the transcribe via Filmonic. Here's the chat:
"We’re working trying to make it. The problem with BioShock was: R-rated movie, underwater, horror. It’s a really expensive R-rated movie,” he explained. “So we’re trying to figure out a way working with [director] Juan Carlos [Fresnadillo] to get the budget down and still keep so it’s true to the core audience, you know? The thing is it has to be R, a hard R.”
“We don’t want to dumb it down, we don’t want to make it PG-13. We want to keep it really edgy, and it’s a huge bill,” Verbinski insisted.
When asked if he might take over the directing reins from Fresnadillo should the latter opt not to make BioShock after all, Verbinski dodged it. “We’re really down the road with Juan Carlos and right now it’s really a budget thing and how to keep the integrity and keep it a Hollywood movie because it could balloon. It’s a lot. Our first budget was extraordinarily high and we’re working on it,” he said. "
Universal could use some help these days. Every now and then, they get mild success, but not really full on awesomeness. The parks get more revenue to them then the movies they make. HArd R, loyalty to the fans, that's awesome. Isn't Gore awesome? I love hearing when directors and writers try as hard as tey can to keep artistic integrity on projects. I'll mos def be keeping you posted on this you tree-readin' suckas.

Munki out.

No comments:

Post a Comment